5.27.2010

Summer Internship

When I came home this summer I was faced with a giant problem: I couldn't get a job.  It doesn't make sense for someone to hire me for a meager two and a half months.  But I still needed to be earning money so that Roy and I don't have to live in a cardboard box this fall.  I was stressing over it and venting to Mom when she made me a generous proposition.
Now I am on the "Home Engineering Internship."  Mom creatively invented a way for me to earn money and help me learn something useful in the process.  So by July I should be the perfect homemaker... maybe?
My projects so far have mostly been spring-cleaning related.  Organizing the laundry room has been a beast of a task.  But what I've been learning the most from is my dinner duty.  Four nights a week it's my job to get dinner on the table for the family.  And not just my frozen Stouffer's meals, either.  I'm expected to have vegetables, fruit, meat- the whole deal.  It's intense, especially for someone who has avoided cooking all her life.
The first few meals were miserable failures.  Most plates were still pretty full by the end of the night.  Poor kids would rather go to bed hungry than touch my zucchini pasta.  Perfectly understandable... it tasted like flour.  Nothing seemed to go quite right.  But THEN...
My first success was a Wednesday night.  I got the recipe off of the Betty Crocker website. It's called a cheesy sausage bake.  I chopped up green unions and diced tomatoes like a pro!  I whisked those eggs and Bisquick like Betty herself!  Okay, it did take me two tries because the first time I accidentally put two and a half TABLESPOONS of salt into the mixture instead of TEASPOONS!  I know I know, I need to pay more attention.  But hey, at least I caught it before I caused my entire family's blood pressure to shoot through the roof.
I couldn't believe it when Zac went in for seconds.  In my entire life I don't think I've ever made food that received so many compliments.  It felt good!
So that's what's been keeping me so busy this summer.  When I'm not planning a wedding or running I'm learning how to keep house.  It's not so bad- and I have my mom to thank :-) Love ya Mom!

No comments: