10.28.2010

Recipe for Chicken Pillows

The life of a young wife {wow, I'm still not getting used to referring to myself that way} can be busy.  Mine is, if you couldn't tell.  I'm trying to master these skills of cooking but also writing papers and working and reading for class and... breathing when I get the chance.
So these chicken pillows are a family favorite here!  I talked about them on the last post and a few other busy young wives requested the recipe.  To be honest–and maybe I should be ashamed of this–I don't measure anything.  I do it all by taste.  Heck, I didn't even know what they were called in the last post!
But, I'll do my best to give good instructions.  If I can do it, you know it's an easy one!

Servings:
Perfect for two people

Ingredients:
1 can of cream of chicken
1/2 cup of milk
1 bunch of green onions
1 cup of regular cream cheese
1 chicken breast
1 Pillsbury dough sheet
(I've noticed these aren't sold at all stores, so know that the Pillsbury crescent ones work too.)

First, I preheat the oven to 175.
Next, I shred the chicken and cook it over the stove.  
While the chicken is cooking I wash and then chop the green onions very thin.  
I add the cream cheese into a small mixing bowl and throw some green onions in there.  For Roy and I, more is better.  But just add it in to your own taste.  
When the chicken is done, you add it into the mixture.  {Unless you happen to be a partial vegetarian, in which case you should leave the chicken out for now}
This is important: Don't let the popping of the Pillsbury dough container make you jump.  Man, it always gets me.  
Spread your dough on a baking sheet.  If it is a sheet of dough I recommend using a butter knife to cut them into squares.  Much more manageable than the triangles that the crescents give you.  But if your stuck with crescents it will be ok.  I promise.
Now add a spoonful of your mixture onto each square or crescent.  {Attention semi-vegetarians!  This is where you plop some chicken on top of the mixture for the meat-eaters and you can leave yours meatless}
This is my favorite part: grab the corner of the dough and bring them all to the middle so that your mixture is wrapped inside of the pillow.  Sometimes I like to get creative and twist them around and see how they turn out.  Just make sure your mixture will stay inside.
Stick those suckers in the oven for about 15 minutes, or until golden brown.
While they are cooking, whip out the cream of chicken and cook it on the stove in a small saucepan.  Add the milk and let the gravy heat up, stirring occasionally, until the pillows are done.  
Take our the pillows and let them cool.  Serve them and then pour the gravy over them.  Lots of pepper really does wonders!
The gravy also tastes good over vegetables.  I cook frozen corn, carrots, and green beans as a side dish and smother them all.

And there you have it!  Delicious chicken pillows!  
Or... maybe cream cheese pillows would be more accurate for us half-vegetarians.

No comments: