3.25.2011

A Wedding Weekend in Oregon

The most excited I've ever seen Leah {Roy's little sister} was the night she told me she was getting married.  There wasn't a ring yet, so she said it kind of hushed but like she was about to just burst.  She told me before she told Roy, which for some reason made me feel really special.  Not that I rubbed it in his face or anything...

I'd never had a sibling get married before.  And Leah had only been my sister for a matter of months.  But still, I had this urge to do a whole profile check on this guy.  Is he good enough?  Does he have a criminal record?  Is he secretly an ax murderer?

Luckily it didn't take hiring a detective to figure out that Jamie is a great guy.  Roy and I were stoked to be able to fly out to their wedding in Oregon this last weekend.  We spent the first night at his Aunt Elizabeth's, who was way nice.  When she found out I didn't like meat she put spinach in my eggs instead of sausage or bacon or anything.  :-)

The next morning we arrived at the LDS Portland temple.  Without Roy's tux shoes that he was going to lend to Jaime.  Awesome.  We are so great.

I did take some pictures at the reception, but they turned out dark and grainy.  So here is the only picture I have of the Mr. and Mrs. Carpenter!


It was a little cold and rainy in Oregon, but when we took pictures the rain miraculously stopped.  The ceremony was beautiful.  The reception was held in Newport at Sue and Jay's reception hall- the very same one that Roy and I had ours in.  But the time of year, the huge tent out back, and the different colors really made it look like a completely different place.  It looked fantastic.  Oh, plus they had karaoke. 

When we were starting to clean up after the reception Roy started asking around for his wife.  He said he was surprised when he heard "She's out in the tent doing karaoke."  :-)  So he came out to laugh at me real quick while I sang "Summer Days" with a bunch of his relatives.  Fun!

Once Friday was over we still had a whole day to hang out in Newport.  His mom made us amazing coffee cake and we played Mario Bros with his sisters for a while.  Then we decided we should go out and do something.  Leah had her friend Megan be her wedding photographer, and she was staying at the Buckmaster's as well.  Then downstairs there was Cayte (Jamie's little sister) and two of Jamie's friends.  We all piled into the Denali for an adventure.  Milly came too.

The Devil's Punchbowl.

I wanted to go swimming in the freezing, raging waters but...

We followed the longest, squirmiest road up a mountain before we got to the trail head.  The road was narrow, with only a single lane.  We almost died when a car rounded the corner at the same time as us.  Scary moment.  But this hike was so much fun, even despite the downpour.

Milly was a bit overly excited.  Whoever had her on the leash essentially got dragged through the forest.  In this case it is Cayte.

When the trail forked we split up.  Me, Megan, and Roy were tromping up the slick, wet trail and wondering whether it would ever meet up with the main trail.  After all, the primary point of the hike is seeing the waterfall and we didn't want to miss it.

Roy ran ahead with Milly.  He found the waterfall.  Megan and I found a newt!
{And no, we didn't bring proper shoes.  We had to leap through gigantic puddles.  I still need to wash my poor Pumas}
Oregon is one gorgeous place.



 We all made it.  I thought the wet hike might provoke my cold to make a comeback, but I'm still feeling great!

Dennis and Laura drove Roy and I to the airport.  Oregon seriously has some winding roads, which quickly put me to sleep.  But the time that I was awake was fun.  We were sad to say goodbye.

1 comment:

Us Egberts said...

AWWW...BEAUTIFUL OREGON....LUCKY FOR SURE...WHAT A WONDERFUL TRIP....DID I MENTION THAT IM JEALOUS....KADIE IS ACTUALLY DATING SOMEONE FROM OREGON....SO MAYBE I WILL GET TO GO AGAIN SOMEDAY....I WANT TO FIND OUT MORE ABOUT THE NEWT....CRAZY FUN...WHAT WAS ALL THE BLUE...BEAUTIFUL COLORS:)