5.20.2011

Rapture Day


Matthew 24:35-36
"Heaven and earth shall pass away, but my words shall not pass away. But of that day and hour knoweth no man, no, not the angels of heaven, but my Father only."


Just saying.

But let's step back for a second and say that perhaps Mr. Harold Camping, the Oakland minister and radio broadcaster, is onto something.  What if tomorrow is the start of the end of the world?  And all of the good Christians are brought up to Heaven while the rest of mankind is blown to smithereens over the next few months?

Well...  I guess I won't be making the Heavenly trip tomorrow.  Why?

I stole shoes today.  And last I checked, stealing is a sin.

We were in Target when the thong of my shoe snapped.  They were decayed high school flip flops, so I guess it wasn't the hugest of surprises.  I tried to shuffle along the slick tiled isles, but it just wasn't working out.  The shoe wouldn't stay on.

Roy, being the helpful husband he is, grabbed me a cheap pair of flip flops that were on sale.  Only $8.  They'd have to do.

So we tore off the elastic and the tags, which I slipped into my pocket for safekeeping, and I put on the shoes.  I'd pay for them on the way out.  Right?

By the time we finished our shopping and were at the register, I'd completely forgotten about the new flip flops.  Completely forgot!!!  We walked out of the store and drove through freeway traffic for about twenty minutes before I gasped, "THE SHOES!"

We looked at the time.  11:03.  Target had just closed it's doors for the night.  By the time those doors open again it will be May 21st—"Rapture Day."

What a crappy day to accidentally break a commandment.




P.S. Tomorrow morning we plan to go on a hike.  Hopefully we get back with plenty of time to return the shoes ;-)

1 comment:

Audrey said...

Ahahaha! I don't think that's ever happened to me. Good story! Where are you guys going hiking?